Monday, September 8, 2008

First Blog!

This is my first post to this blog. I'm kind of starting it as a place to vent about the frustrations of being a parent of a kid in elementary school in California. There is not much funding for education here, therefore, the schools just aren't that great as compared to other states. I have a daughter in the 4th grade and she's been at the same school since kindergarten. Her name is Sarah. I also have another non-school aged child named Julia and she is 3.5 years old. I guess my biggest problem is that there is such a lack of funds that we have to have all these fundraisers. The only reason our school even has a PE teacher (part time teacher, one PE class per grade per week) is because of all these fundraisers. There are no art or music classes at all.



This is really sad, considering that California schools used to set the trends for schools in other states. Now the schools in this state consistently rank 45th (or higher) in the nation. It is a goal of mine to be out of this state prior to my oldest started 6th grade in 2 years, and at that time, my youngest will be kindergarten aged.

No comments: