Tuesday, January 13, 2009

San Diego Wild Animal Park

On December 30th and January 2nd, we spent some time at the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal park just outside of Escondido. We saw these pretty blue birds on our way to the safari ride. Not sure what they are, but they sure are pretty!


I believe these were some type of deer. It was really quite amazing to watch these guys running around!

This was a white Rhino, either southern or northern. Whatever the case, the other type of white rhino was also at the park, but it was one of eight left in the world. The Wild Animal Park had two of them.


This was a young giraffe, not at its full height yet. They are born pretty tall to start with, otherwise they cannot feed properly. You have probably seen how tall an adult giraffe is, so in order to reach its mom's milk, the giraffe has to be born fairly tall!


They had a good number of ostrich around. I always find it amusing to watch them. They are just such BIG birds. I don't quite understand how they get around!


The next picture isn't very clear, but I just wanted to share it to demonstrate that most of the animal in this area live as in nature, not in separate areas. The one exception was the zebras. They were aggressive and pretty mean to the other creatures, so they got put in their own little area. In case you can't tell, this is a giraffe and a couple of rhinos.


I had never seen a California Condor up close. They are not very pretty, but still great to look at! It was tricky getting a good and in focus shot with a point and shoot camera, but I finally got one. It wanted to focus on the fencing around the bird.


Hanging around the condors was this beauty of a ram. They had lots of rocks for them to climb around on. I bet they were quite happy!


They had a petting area. The Zoo had goats and the Wild Animal Park had Kraal. They seem kind of deer-like.



I will post about the Zoo itself on another day. I have more blog-worthy photos from the zoo. I think my favorite part of the Wild Animal Park was seeing all the rhinos. You don't often get to see them!

No comments: