Monday, November 17, 2008

How long does it take to get a 9 year old to clean her room?

Apparently it takes 2 days of battling it out, including sitting on said child's bed and griping at her whenever she started playing around again. 2 DAYS! She was grounded to her room for that long, and it was like pulling teeth to get her to do what needed done. If she had done what she was asked to do right from the start, it never would have happened! You know, it's not so hard to put folded clean laundry into a drawer instead of throwing it on the floor in the closet. It's not so difficult to pick up trash off of the floor and put it in the wastebasket. It's not so difficult to throw dirty clothes into a laundry hamper instead of 4 feet away on the floor! Next time I'll remember to take before pictures. This was really bad, right down to emptying an electric pencil sharpener onto a pile of clean clothes. And yes, I did make her wash all those clothes herself!

I sense that in the future, the battles will just get worse...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did she step in her own poop and drag it around the house on her feet? If not, I would take the messy room of 'I stepped in bones! I stepped in bones!' I suppose I can cross the room-cleaning bridge in 7 years or so.

Mary Anne Whiteley said...

Oh, we've had those times too. It's a lot easier to clean up a little poo than some of the things those kids end up leaving in their room. Let's just say that if I knew she'd stop doing it, we'd replace the carpet!